Last updated: 28/12/2020
Mahamevnawa Meditation Centre – North England is a non-profit organization dedicated for people to learn and practice the teachings of the Buddha as preserved faithfully in the scriptures of Theravada Buddhism. The lay community is led by fully ordained monks (bhikkhus).
Upon submitting your personal information you consent to Mahamevnawa Meditation Centre – North England, holding and using the information you have supplied which is essential for us to operate the site.
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
We automatically receive and keep certain types of information whenever you interact with this website. This information is used to monitor website traffic and to assist with the navigation and user experience of the website.
The following information is typical of the type of information collected automatically:
- The URL (Uniform Resource Locator) you have requested. So that we can direct you to the correct page.
- Time and date you accessed the site.
- IP (Internet Protocol) address. So that we can check for unauthorized access from unexpected locations.
- Domain name from which you access the internet
- The Referring URL. So that we can check whether you arrived on the site by a normal link or search or through a marketing campaign
- Software (browser/operating system) used to access the page. So that we can improve our website experience to better reflect our customers equipment
We may also collect various types of personal data about you, such as:
- Bank Details
- Email addresses
- Postal address
- Telephone number
- Photo/ Video Image via CCTV
2. How do we obtain this Information?
We procure your personal data through several sources. You may choose to provide us with personal information:
- Electronically-via enquiring to us via our website or email address
- Paper record: When filling out a donation envelope, standing order donations form
- Via telephone or in person when visiting the monastery by completing our Personal Information Agreement form.
- Recorded images of you are also obtained through use of CCTV when you access the monastery grounds
3. How we use your information
We use the information we automatically collect to create demographic and statistical information to manage and improve the services on the website. If any of this information is disclosed to a 3rd party service it will be in aggregate form and would not identify and individual users of the site.
We may use your information to;
- Process a donation or standing order you wish to make to Mahamevnawa Meditation Centre – North England
- Add to our email/mobile text message list if you wish to receive event notifications and correspondence from us
- Notify you of any changes that may take place to our service
For gift aid purposes
- If you wish to provide Dhana or alms giving to the monks and would like to procure a date to do so.
- Carry out our obligations arising from any contract entered into by you and us.
- For security purposes to monitor access to the monastery grounds
Data Protection Legislation
When you use the Mahamevnawa Meditation Centre – North England websites, Mahamevnawa Meditation Centre – North England is acting as your data controller. As your data controller Mahamevnawa Meditation Centre – North England has notified its activities to the Office of the Information Commissioner as required under the Data Protection Act 2018 (the “Act”) and the GDPR and is listed in the Public Register of Data Controllers. Personal information will only be collected and/or processed by Mahamevnawa Meditation Centre – North England in accordance with the Act.
Disclosure of your information
Except as set out in this policy or as required by law, your personal data will not be provided to any third party without your prior written consent.
The information you provide to us will be held on Server. It may be accessed by or given to third parties, some of whom may be located outside the European Economic Area who act for us for the purposes set out in this policy or for other purposes approved by you. Those parties process information and may provide support services to Mahamevnawa Meditation Centre – North England or on Mahamevnawa Meditation Centre – North England’s behalf.
Countries outside the European Economic Area do not always have strong data protection laws. However, we will always take steps to ensure that your information is used by third parties in accordance with this policy.
Links to external websites
On some parts of the Mahamevnawa Meditation Centre – North England websites you may find social media buttons/links which will take you to sites such as Facebook, Youtube and so on. If you use these links the relevant party is likely to be collecting information about the domain you have come from and may use that information. If you are already logged in to these services the services may collect locational data even if you do not actually click on the links themselves.
What we will do if there is a breach or misuse of your personal data?
Mahamevnawa Meditation Centre – North England endeavour to ensure that your information is protected and secure from unauthorised access. We have a series of structural and organisational measures in place to ensure data security such as physical locks and restricted individual access to information storage sites
However, in the event of a breach of your information, we are required to inform our supervisory authority, the ICO, without undue delay no later than 72 hours of becoming aware of the breach- unless the personal data breach ‘is unlikely to result in a risk to the rights and freedoms of natural persons.
Where data breaches are likely to result in a high risk to the rights and freedoms of you as a donor, we will raise the matter with you without undue delay, informing you of the nature of the breach and the steps we are taking to mitigate it effects.
Should the information we hold about you be incorrect, you can change and update your personal information and you can have your information corrected by contacting us.
Where requested, we will provide you with a readable copy of the personal data which we keep about you, by contacting us at the address below. We will require proof of your identity before supplying you with this information to ensure confidentiality. We are entitled by law to charge a fee to meet our costs if the request is unfounded or excessive in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Should you require more information on any of these rights, please visit https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/ for further information.
All of these rights exist for you in relation to how we handle your personal data; and if for whatever reason, you feel that your rights have not been upheld, then please contact us so we can seek to resolve the issue. Simply speak to our head monk, or alternatively email us at email@example.com with the subject title ‘GDPR Rights Issue’ included in the email heading.
You have a choice about whether or not you wish to receive information from us. If you do not want to receive direct communications from us about events, then you can contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or unsubscribing from our mailing list by filling Get In Touch form on our website www.mahamevnwamc.uk
Mahamevnawa Meditation Centre – North England
10 Coronation Drive,